Early Impressions of Japan

 


First impressions are sometimes difficult to ascertain. Not necessarily because we do not know what we are thinking all the time, but rather, we do not always understand what we are seeing. Can I really tell you when I was first introduced to Japanese culture? Did I even know then what I was seeing? Should I consider only the first time I studied Japan academically, or perhaps the first time I came to study in Japan? Or do I opt for my most recent introduction, to a slightly more familiar, slightly less alien Japan? … Let us go back to my first visit to Japan.

Aesthetics, the conceptions of sensory perception, have rich traditions and histories in Japanese society. These ideas – entombed in such alien terms as shibusa, wabi-sabi, yugen, miyabi, aware, etc. – are at once both cryptic and revealing: Cryptic to the untrained initiate, barely able to recognize more than a pretty scene. Powerfully revealing to the culturally trained, existing as a form of visual haiku that evokes emotion, meaning and connection between viewer and craftsman, of which nature itself is often the greatest such craftsman.

Armed with only my rudimentary understanding of Japanese aesthetics, a smattering of lectures on language, art, history and anthropology, I quickly realized just how little I knew when I first visited Japan to study at Ryukoku University. Although I could see the influences of the past, traditional style houses, historical locations and temple gardens, I found myself lost in the intricate details contained in the ideas so foreign to me. I was not alone, though, as I noted many of my new Japanese friends were also initiates to the subtleties of traditional aesthetics. Japan was alluring with its natural beauty and aesthetic traditions, yet the layers of meaning were not all visible to me, as most were barely even known to me.

2 Responses to “Early Impressions of Japan”

Joe said...

Wow, this post is really interesting, and your photos are gorgeous. Keep it up!
JOE WILL BE WATCHING YOU

visual gonthros said...

An excellent start; I like the sense of art and poetry in your text and photos.

I also like how you mention your Japanese friends being unfamiliar with traditional aesthetic ideas. It makes one wonder how important they are to the real lives of the people we are interacting with now. What do they know and what is important to them? These are some of the challenges of contemporary anthropology.

My only critique (a minor one but as an anthro major you want this kind of feedback, right?) of this post would be about a stylistic device that most anthropologists working in Japan make - the inclusion of lots of Japanese words. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with this, especially if the words are explained. Why not use Japanese words for etic analysis as well? Here, I don't think you want to define all of the alien terms as it would take away from your sense of haiku. Still you might want to consider who your audience is and what they do and do not know. Could you hotlink the terms to another site for those unfamiliar with them?

Very much looking forward to your future posts.