Gender in Japan: Something about tsureshon?

 
Recently I became aware of the term tsureshon. Litreally translated it means to urinate in a group. In Western countries there is a stereotypical association of women going to the restroom in pairs. This phenomenon is not alien to the Japanese mind, and the concept is nearly identical. Extrapolating on the word thus illuminates a more broadly gendered framework of thinking about how women relate and communicate in contrast to men; with intimacy, collaboration and emotion being discerningly more feminine in this context.


Men in the act of tsureshon.

Kansai Gaidai’s current ad campaign “GO FOR    it   !”, works as a visual echo of the broader tsureshon implication of women. For a university comprised of nearly 70% females (course lecture, Dr. J. Hester, Kansai Gaidai), capitalizing on this imagery may make the most sense for attracting new students. I can recount instances watching my female Japanese friends interact: tickling, or playfully pushing each other, crowding on benches or sharing seats to let male friends have their own chair, and walking closely together as if parts of a single mind and body. Young men are not exempt from similar behavior, but more often they seem to take up a wider stance and command a larger area around themselves when with friends.



I’ll admit my occidental bias may be seeping in here. Though, I cannot help but wonder that perhaps these similarities between Western society and Japanese society are not merely my selective perception. There is a long history cross-cultural influence and today instantaneous global media distribution is a formidable reality. And parallel social development has been shown in many societies without prior contact, raising questions about our genetic predispositions to societal thinking. So is it really so farfetched to be seeing my own cultural gender expectations and stereotypes, starring back at me through a mirror of Japanese college life? Although some of the faces may be Japanese, the gendered imagery is overwhelmingly familiar.

2 Responses to “Gender in Japan: Something about tsureshon?”

visual gonthros said...

Oh I was so disappointed when I realized the first picture wasn't yours. It could have led to so many discussions on ethical considerations and so forth.

It is hard not to see gender though our own culturally-bagged eyes. Gender seems to be so basic on the one hand. But on the other hand, watch out, it is nothing but basic. And Japan is a fascinating place to explore such issues as I'm sure you are aware being able to take Dr. Hester's class.

As for the Gaidai ads, I find them aimed primarily at young women. The women portrayed in the ads, cheerleaders and such, are genki and cute. And men, both Japanese and international, are over-represented. Does Gaidai offer a MRS. degree? Is Gaidai taking advantage of orientalism and akogare? Some earlier campaigns have had Japanese women staring at admiration of the white man while he has a phallus or two pointed in her direction. OK, so perhaps I am over-analyzing. But advertisement are important in how society views gender roles.

R. A. Stern said...

I'm sure it would have been quite entertaining for me to attempt validating permission to photograph a group of men using urinals. Alas, I'll continue to rely on the authority of the original author to have appropriate permission. I do find humor in that all three men are holding cameras though.

I agree that gender is far from basic. When I interviewed members of the GLBTQ for a colaborative research project on safety, I was made aware of an astounding array of gender self identifications. A volunteer from SMYRC whom I spoke with taught me about the Gender Gumby exercise, which is quite fascinating conceptually, for anyone interested in gender studies.

SMYRC - Sexual Minority Youth Resource Center:
http://www.smyrc.org

Typical Gender Gumby Exercise:
http://www.pcc.edu/resources/illumination/documents/gender-gumby-glbtq-oppression-exercise.pdf